IP is a key source of communication to ping MAC address with local devices to the network, thus every device you have does maintain a local IP address, and the record of Mac Address along with associated IP address is saved in the device and that can be found using some ping options
Here we will be using the address resolution Protocol which is a protocol to find Mac Addresses with IPs in network segments, and If you’re not aware every device in a data link layer depends on Mac addresses to get their communication done.
Know how the ARP command works which do let you the Mac Address by easy options, Mac Address is an important connection that lets you configure and track your device if required.
Every device has its respective IP address with an associated Mac Address which can be found using a pinging option, and here we have a few steps, which you can follow to ping Mac Address in your Mac OS X device.
How to Ping Mac Address
- Launch the Terminal by finding it from Apple Menu
- It can be found in Utilities under Applications menu
- Now enter the arp command in terminal and hit enter
- A list of options does show on screen for arp command
- Type arp -a command and wait for a second after hitting enter
- A list of ARP entries will be shown in the form of a table on screen
- Here select your requested IP from the list shown beside Mac Address
- Type PING IP address and press enter to see the result of PING
- The output of the IP address, Mac Address, interface, and the allocation type will be shown on screen, which makes it easy to find the IP address and Ping it on a Mac device.
Is it possible to Ping a Mac Address?
The Address Resolution Protocol tool is prepared to ping a Mac Address using the ARP packets in your LAN, and this tool does get you a list of Mac Address associated with respective IPs during its execution.
Can a device be found using its Mac Address?
Go to settings under Wireless & Networks to find the Wi-Fi option, here tap on the advanced button to open the Wi-Fi options screen, and at the bottom of your page, the Mac address and IP address will be displayed on the screen.
Is Using ARP command safe to Ping Mac Address?
Address Resolution Protocol is a command which shows its output when you enter arp in Mac terminal, and this is an inbuilt command which collects the data of IP addresses and their associated Mac Address from Mac devices with also listing their location type.
Is a Mac Address traceable?
The Mac Address is only traceable when it is being connected to a network and shown as active, and If your Wi-Fi connection has been logged in by different computers then you can view the Mac Address of that connected computer, Else it is not possible to get a trace of Mac Address of any device directly.